Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

Chinese Name for Avery

My friends and students came up with a Chinese name for me.
This all came about after going to the Three-Self Church one Friday. The pastor came to speak to me after the service and one of my students translated. The first phrase (of course) -- what is your name? I say "Avery" He says "huh... I mean your Chinese name" My student told the pastor she would work on that :-) I told them the only requirement I have for a Chinese name is -- I must be able to say it and it should have a good meaning (as this is important in culture)
A few days later... they told me they have a name.
Ai Xi
This name isn't common in China -- but then neither is Avery in America
The name means "Precious One or Something to be Cherished" If you break the name apart-- Ai is for Love, Xi is for Hope for a new day.
I think they did an amazing job picking out a name for me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment