Pages

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas Day in China

We had a great Christmas.
We excitedly woke up to a beautiful snow fall. It didn't stick to the ground... but it was beautiful falling from the sky.

We are so blessed to have family in America to send us Christmas packages. My parents sent a 27 pound box of goodness... my sisters box ranking second heaviest at 17 pounds. (She told me she had to sit on it to close it :-)
We had so much fun opening and ooohh and awwwing over goodies.

Here is what we racked up on from my parents and sister :-)

I told Karen about how cold it has gotten in Hengyang and how we were freezing!! She lovingly sent Under Armour clothing :-) We have worn it faithfully and don't want to take it off even to wash ... this may present a problem :-)
After opening all the presents, we were able to Skype with our family :-) Even though it certainly isn't the same as being in the same house, laughing together and being with each other... it provides a sense of connectedness.

At 9:30 am, we went to a teammates house to have "Team Christmas" We first ate a delicious American breakfast (no Chinese food allowed) After a delicious meal, we sat around in the living room and opened presents. Our team did a great job of gifting :-) We got games, gloves, chocolate, lotions, McDondalds gift cards and even a wheel of cheese. I was super excited about the wheel of cheese. I thought to myself-- if you had told me when I was 16 years old, that I would be excited about getting a wheel of cheese for Christmas, I would have laughed (really hard) BUT oh the excitement of cheese :-) Not only did I get a wheel of cheese from a teammate... but I got Mac and Cheese from both my parents and sister. Happy times in the Thomas household.
Here are some pictures from our Christmas day.
Tree and Present
Wes was our photographer for all presents opened. I think this picture was towards the end of the opening. I love how Portia and I are both looking at Wes with funny looks.

Wesley

After all presents were opened, we played Settlers of Catan. I had never played the game before... but with the amazing strategy of making my city look pretty :-) I WON :-) haha.

After the game, we made pizza. I don't think we officially stopped eating all day. We ate pizza and watched The Christmas Story movie. After the movie, we decided to do individual activities all in the same room, some people read a book other drew pictures. After a short time of quietness, we started to eat cheese, peperoni and crackers (all brought from the US) and watched the Christmas episode of The Office.
It was a successful fun enjoyable Christmas.
I have discovered... I miss my family on holidays (of course) but the times I am most homesick... isn't holidays... it is random times during the week when I miss a hug from my mom or hanging out with my Dad.
Thank you Mom, Dad, Ashley, Salmon, Karen and Barry for making Christmas special with packages from home. :-) WE love you!!

1 comment:

  1. That tree looks awfully familiar :) Reminds me of all of our Christmases in Hengyang. :) Really do miss that place :)

    ReplyDelete