Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Chinese Graveyard

So it rained for about a week... and then there was blue sky :)  a rare but treasured day in China!  We decided to go for a walk to the "countryside"  Don't think rolling hills and green grass.
We stumbled across this graveyard.  It is the first graveyard I have seen in China.  I am pretty sure that they do not "bury" the dead here but cremate. (disclaimer- I could be wrong on that)
Anyways... it was very interesting to check out the graveyard. 
Here it is from afar

And here is the entry-- I was amazed it was full of trash (I don't know why I was amazed as all of Hengyang looks like this... but...)
Just recently the Chinese celebrated a holiday called "Tomb Sweeping Day" On this holiday, relatives go to the graves of their ancestors and "sweep the tomb" however... I don't think this is "sweep" as in clean (I'm not Sherlock Holmes but this doesn't look swept)... I think it is more like go burn paper money, take food and pray the ancestors. 

Here was a newer section of the grave yard.  This is the area that we found a chicken carcass decomposing... talking maggots and a smell that will cause you to rethink lunch.  This was also the point that an older Chinese lady came up to us and said "what are you looking for?"  We proceeded to tell her we were just looking... I think she thought we must be looking to purchase a plot because she walked us to an area where there was an empty spot and said "here... this isn't too expensive." Then she told us it was bad to have Parker in the grave yard.

Up close shot of a grave

A relative burning paper money for her deceased relative.
 

P boy :) Just woke up from a little nap.

On the way back home we saw this old Chinese house- still being used.
Many times I see things in China and wonder- "how old is this?"  I don't have an answer ... but looks old to me :)

A very interesting walk :)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Interesting photos. I don't think I've ever seen a Chinese graveyard in our city.

    ReplyDelete