Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

E-Journal Week 33 -- Post from the e-mail sent

There are so many things to tell you this week-- I don't know where to begin.
We just finished our Tuesday night team meeting. On the menu for tonight's dinner-- Southern Style at the Thomas Household (I need to come up with restaurant name for each week depending on the meals theme.) Beef Stew (products coming from America-thank you package friends, Chaing Mai, Hong Kong and Capital City Changsha), Homemade Biscuits and Apple Cake. It all tasted delicious to me. As we talked about the deliciousness of the Beef Stew-- we laughed about the only local products being the vegetable BUT I have to say the vegetables and fruits is one of my favorite things about our city, Hengyang.
Since I have a lot to share... I will practice the Highs/Lows format... because it works :-)

Highs
1. One of my students who failed last term due to lack of attendance, participation and general lack of care for Oral English has shown great improvement. Last semester, IF he came to class it was late. This semester, he hasn't missed a class and is in his desk before the bell rings. In China, if you fail a class, the only consequence is to retake the Final Exam. The Final Exam can be determined by the teacher. I wanted to have a final for him an a simple exam... so I chose a book for him to read- The Difference Maker by John Maxwell. I didn't want him to feel overwhelmed by a WHOLE book, so I am giving it to him a chapter at a time. This past week, he stayed after class with questions and notes about what he learned from the chapter. I was amazed. I asked him how he like the assignment so far-- his response "I think it is really good, I feel like it will help me improve my attitude and view towards life" BINGO!!! I was an extremely happy teacher :-)

2. There have been some other American in Hengyang this week-- see the blog for picture. They are working at the Orphanage for one month. On Sunday, Wes organized a group of students along with the group of Americans to hang out at a park. (Students LOVE meeting "foreigners") I invited 3 of my Sophomore boys to come. The goal of this day -- meaningful conversations. The afternoon was a complete success-- each student heard about the Father's Love. My students came to me with excitement about how their new foreign friend shared with them about the same BOOK that I have told them about. Results- there will be 2 more boys joining Wes in studying.

3. We talked to our school officials about when we can end our teaching semester and fly back to America. We were seeking approval to leave 2 weeks earlier than the department schedule-- permission granted. We have not booked our tickets so we don't have a definite date... but we are excited that we will be in America mid-June.

4. New Pizza restaurant in Hengyang-- YEP this makes the Highs list. It isn't super close... but we already have a date scheduled to go eat dinner there with our team.

5. The package came from my mom-- this is a LONG saga story (seriously involving customs on a package I sent her... and then getting the products to her that we needed sent... it is a LONG story) BUT the great news is... it made it. In the package-- the disc to fix my broken computer (Wes is working on restoring it now), a replacement Kindle (mine broke in Thailand) and LANCE CRACKERS!!! I have serious LOVE for Lance crackers. I talk about them all the time - it cracks my teammates up. If you haven't had them... don't miss out-- favorite kind- Reduced Fat Orange cracker with Peanut Butter. It is the perfect snack or meal replacement-- put me in an advertisement.

Lows
As I am sure I have lost many of you... because this e-mail is getting long... a few Lows/ Things to Lift up!!
1. Had a cold a week and half ago... recovered... but it has come back again. Please pr that it leaves for good and the baby remains healthy.

2. Weather-- YES, we are lifting up the weather. It has been cold and rainy... as my teammate says "bone chillin cold" We are asking the Father to bring Spring to Hengyang.

I hope you made it to the end :-)

Blessings,

Avery

No comments:

Post a Comment