Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Not so Typical HY and a couple of Miracles

A former HY teacher came for a visit. He is currently getting his Masters degree in Hong Kong. Portia (our teammate) set up a time for us to go to dinner at HY's greatest Chinese restaurants... the one we refer to as "the Northern Restaurant" They serve food common in the North of China. This was a particularly funny night at the restaurant. We sat in a back room and were one of the first ones there. Some Chinese men come in and light up the Smokes and bring out the liquor. Portia is great and knows I generally ask people not to smoke since I am pregnant... so she gets up and explains this to the men and they stop smoking. (miracle #1) Then the room starts to fill and the packs of cigarettes come out... BUT the waitress tells all the men to not smoke- there is a pregnant foreigner (miracle #2) It was the most delightful meal without the aroma of toxic chemicals. BUT the funny thing remains... we finish our meal and I get up first to leave the room. I get my bag and start to walk out... all eyes are on me and COMPLETE silence!!! Once out the door... I feel like you could literally hear the sound of lighters and then the rumble of men talking. I am amazed the whole place didn't go up in flames with all the liquor and lighters going at one time. And the picture... we just thought it was typical China... Sausages hanging out on a clothes line (notice the white shirt out to dry) -- This was the only thing typical about HY during this dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment