Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Egg Drop

Not the Soup :-)
This Saturday our Sophomore student have a test called the TEM4-- this test determines if they graduate from college. Needless to say... we have a bunch of very stressed out, one tracked minded, a little cranky at time sophomore students (understandably so)
Instead of having a normal class for them this week-- I decided to do a fun activity... in hopes to relieve some stress and let them have fun for 1 hour and 45 minutes :-)
Activity-- Egg Drop
I gave them a senerio that the people in the countryside had a lack of food and most importantly lack of eggs. We couldn't drive out to give them food because the roads are flooded... the only way to deliver the eggs is by air.
I gave each group an egg and some materials... their job-- protect their egg. After a bit of time... we, as a class, to to the 8th floor of the Foreign Language building and drop the eggs over the top to fall to the concrete below. After they dropped and retrieved their egg-- they create a poster for a short presentations. Here are my 9 groups--









I was a little nervous about this project... I could foresee many things going bad... but I have a great group of students and it ended up being great fun!!
Here are some quotes from the class
"Mrs. Thomas, this is so great. I am so nervous for our egg! I am having so much fun, I feel so happy today. I feel like a kid again. Thank you so much." (Mandy, after the egg had been dropped from the roof)
"I'm soooo sorry... it broke. BUT I drew hearts all over our poster because we put our whole heart into this activity" (CiCi - with a huge smile on her face)
"VICTORY" (Victor as he has his picture taken right before the egg drop)
"No Victory" (Victor after the egg went splat) :-)
"THANK YOU" (the WHOLE class)

I felt so great leaving class today. Many of my students said they haven't felt happy for a long time but today's activity made them feel very happy.

Only one group successfully dropped the egg with only a slight fracture to the egg-- Group 9
Here is their presentation-
(note-- the Boy- William is doing the talking-- he was beside himself with excitement. When he introduced his group- "we have 3 girls and 1 boy... of course I am the boy and I want to introduce the main character in our group- EGGIE" :-)

On a final note-- it is a BEAUTIFUL day in HY. You can see the smog in the pictures... but it is warm outside... PTL for no rain!!

4 comments:

  1. so coooool! this sounds like a fun activity to do with students!! wanna pass on this lesson plan to me ;) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a great teacher. Very creative way to relieve stress. Sounds like a lot of fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool--glad that it was such a success!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an exciting lesson! I'm sure all of your kids will always remember it!!

    ReplyDelete