Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

Thoughts

It has been a little while since I have posted :-) I have been sand-bagging my pictures for an upcoming newsletter that is more of a picture letter!! I thought you might enjoy getting an update via snail mail with lots of pictures of life here... In addition to the sand-bagging- life has become a little more busy. We now have a full load of classes (the freshmen start today) and our social life with students has increased (Hooray!!)

Some thoughts for today

Many of you know that other than THE Father... my father is a great source of inspiration to me. This trait seems to be passed down from his mom (my late Grandma Ann) who while she was living was an amazing encourager to my life.

Many of you receive a weekly e-journal from me (if you do not- I am happy to add you to the list... just need your e-mail address) My Dad is faithfully the first person to reply to the e-journal and always with encouraging words.

(Now I will chase a short rabbit trail but will bring it full circle by the end... hang in there with me)
Before coming to China, I really wanted a new hobby for my new life. I contemplated sewing, violin, photography and various other that each fell short of fulfillment due to supplies, language, money etc...
After last nights e-journal that was on a local Orphanage where I hope to volunteer time each week, my Dad comments reflected my writing. Every since I was a little, I have enjoyed writing. I wrote countless stories as a little girl... binding each book with tape :-)- sadly I don't know what happened to those works. In college, creative writing was my favorite class. I still have a letter from my Dad about one of my short stories (it was so encouraging, I had to keep it) But since graduation, I have not actively written. Even while in college, I thought it would be nice to write... but didn't know if I could do it.
Anyways, back to my inspiration... my Dad recommended I consider putting together some short stories from our adventures in China. Last night it was pure encouragement and I had extreme love and admiration for my Dad... while that still remains true this morning... the idea is more of ambition, aspiration, dream...
While walking across campus, ideas started coming- instead of saying "I'll write that down later" ... I immediately started to jot down the ideas.

I don't know what will come of it all... but I will start today. Maybe after two years of adventures and thoughts-- my writings will serve to help future teachers planning to go to China or even just give family and friends a good life about my crazy life.

Thank you Dad!! I love you!!

2 comments:

  1. Avery, I can relate to wanting to get a collection of stories together. I've been keeping a running list of stories from my time in China. Maybe we could joint publish. (Dan might have some stories too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BRAVO! Looks like you already got started.

    ReplyDelete