Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

two sides to every coin

***Disclaimer-- PLEASE do not sense any of this as discouragement or me feeling discouraged about China- this semester has been amazing and FLOWN by!! The below is simply thoughts and there is no particular order ... except #1 under America***

I was walking to class this morning thinking about America and how I can't wait to get home... but then I started thinking about China and what I would miss over the summer ( our 3 month break)... my conclusion-- there are two sides to every coin

Heads - Quarters- representing America

  • I can't wait to see friends and family and get an actual hug. (People in China are awkward huggers... in fact-- they don't hug at all
  • Fellowship and Freedom!!
  • Clean Air and No pollution!! Sunny Blue skies :-)
  • Stars at night-- I haven't seen stars in 9 months
  • Normal food without spending 3 hours in the kitchen preparing
  • Personal Space- need I say more??
  • I look forward to intelligent questions ... a future post-- the Top 10 Stupidest Question I have gotten in China- I know teachers are suppose to say there are no stupid questions-- BUT there ARE!!
  • I can't wait to feel air condition everywhere!! Restaurants, grocery store, random buildings... nice and cool
  • Toilets-- not squattie and not smelly. I can seriously handle any American bathroom after living in China and using the bathrooms in the English building (a funny aside- I used to be able to hold it... even after 4 hours of teaching and running home... now that I am pregnant-- every 30 minutes)
  • I look forward to being able to listen to other people's conversations (yes this is nosy... but can be funny) In China I can listen but I can't understand.
  • Lack of Split pants and bodily fluids flying out... it will be nice to have a break
  • Fireworks- only exception- Forth of July
  • I can't wait to have my Baby :-)

    Tails- 1 RMB coin- representing China

  • I am going to miss really cheap fruits and vegetable!! I buy LOTS of them every day for less than $5 US.
  • Walking everywhere-- bittersweet- I am going to miss the exercise- but I will get places much quicker.
  • I am going to miss running into students all around the city BUT I am going to enjoy some privacy :-)
  • I will NOT miss the smell of Chou Dofu (Stinky Tofu... that literally takes your breath away and makes you gag...) to think people eat this :-/
  • I will miss the birds outside of our window- even though I know Wes won't-- I love hearing them in the morning but I will admit their chip is quirky.
  • Sodas and Fruit Juice for 38 cents -- yep- Wes can have a Coca Cola for 38 cents in China
  • PPTV- watching American TV shows on the computer for free (good thing all season end)
  • The 85 stairs to get to my apartment... I love the exercise
  • S. Studies and sharing about the Father with students. Watching Him work on their hearts as they hear the story for the first time.
  • I will miss teaching my Classes --old campus 1003, 0904. new-- 1008, 1009... I will NOT miss old campus class 1009... I am sorry whoever has to teach them next year!!
  • Packages!! I love getting mail in China... I will miss it over the summer :-)
  • The fast train
Again... just some thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment