Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Vera Bradley and Chinese Culture


Interesting combination huh-- Vera Bradley and Chinese Culture.

I bought this Vera Bradley before coming to China and it has been a great "errand running" bag. Recently, I have had many visits to our FAO (Foreign Affairs Officer) -you can also think of this as our Chinese boss. She is a great woman- she has helped us so much in our first year in HY.
This bag has accompanied me on my recent visits to her office and every time she complimented on my bag. Chinese culture- if somebody compliments you on something... give it to them. I haven't been the recipient of any things... but I almost got a "Russian doll" that a boy's father brought back for him from Russia (I quickly refused and refused and refused until he kept it)
Well, since she compliment me on my bag 3 times... I thought I would "be more Chinese" and offer the bag to her (thinking it was also cultural to refuse the item) All I can say is "bye-bye Vera Bradley... you have been a good bag my first year in China and now you go to a proud new owner who will treat you with care :-)" After I offered the bag, she said "REALLY, thank you so much" haha- I think she really wants it ;-) there was no refusal. No one can say I haven't embraced the culture :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment